Thursday, September 08, 2005

Nearly Monday

Well I claimed that I would post again on Monday about what the sermon at church was like the night before. The more observant of you will realize that this is a few days past Monday.
There is however a good explanation.
I was not attending my regular church on Sunday night (cue dramatic music) … actually I was visiting a different local church to see what things were like there.

To be Frank, I was disappointed.

While my critics may be quick to point out that having been born and brought up in an Sydney Anglican church, of course I wouldn't like the more Pentecostal way of doing things the this particular church implemented.
Yet that is not what I would like to talk about.

The sermon was on the parable of the prodigal son (Luke 15:11-32). Now you may expect a sermon on this passage what to look at things like human sinfulness and Gods grace (perhaps even in the context of Jesus talking to the Pharisees who were grumbling about Jesus eating with Tax collectors and sinners (Luke 13:2)) But this wasn’t what the sermon was on.

The minister talked for 45 minutes, pointing out that the when the father saw his son returning, he ran out to meet him (Luke 13:20) yet the son didn't run back to the father. He then spend the entire sermon hypothesizing about what could be holding the son back from running to the father and hence what is holding us back from running to God. (If the father met the son and asked him why he wasn’t running back home there could be some merit to this line of arguing but the father doesn’t do this and the net result is that the focus for our salvation shifts towards what we are doing to earn salvation). I could go into more details of what I reckon were exegetical errors but again that’s not exactly why I’m posting this.

I’ve been thinking about what I should do in response to this dodgy preaching. Is it my place to rebuke this guy? If it is then how does one go about doing it?

What do people reckon?

No comments: